Northland News is the page to find current Press Releases, current Published News Articles and Advertisements and Archived News & Highlights of the Northland 300 and Special Events.
NORTHLAND 300 RECEIVES SPECIAL OLYMPICS AWARD
On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at the Pentages Theatre, the participants of the Northland 300 received the award for the 2016 Outstanding Non Profit Organization of the year Award. Steven Eull made the introduction and Mike Richards accepted the award on behalf of the Northland 300.
Press Releases and advertisements of the Northland 300 and Special Events are submitted periodically to publications. If you are looking for a press release to submit to a local publication, you will find it here.
Enjoy news about Northland 300 events, participants, and much more...
Here is a nice article on our very own Steven Eull featured in the blog Life in Minnesota, by RyanC:
Meet Special Olympic Athlete Steven Eull
“Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.”
- Special Olympics Athlete Oath -
Steven Eull of Mahtomedi is a dedicated Special Olympic champion who began his athletic career when he was 7 years old. Recently, family and friends joined him in celebrating his 30th birthday at the Mall Of America. Steven lives with Down Syndrome, however that is not what defines this young man. Steven is a morning person, and everyday he rises at dawn ready to read the newspaper from cover to cover. Those who know him can attest to his charismatic personality. He is an honest, strong, caring, and very friendly person. Most of all, Steven is highly passionate about his involvement in Special Olympics and the success of his teammates.
Special Olympics brings over 4.4 million athletes together from more than 170 countries. It offers life skills to each participant through trials of winning, losing, being a part of a team, and the joys of reaching personal goals. For the past 23 years Steven has embraced his skill sets through sports offered in Special Olympics such as swimming, track and field, golf, softball, skiing, basketball, bowling, and flag football. Bowling is the favorite among most athletes because it is more of a social time for the players. His eyes light up as he eagerly announces the new sport being introduced to Special Olympics, powerlifting! “I just started powerlifting. My cousin helps as my coach. It’s really exciting!” said Steven. He has been working hard training with his coaches and he is currently lifting 100 pounds! Steven has numerous medals hanging on his family room wall. In 2001 he was honored by being chosen as the Special Olympic Athlete Of The Year. Steven has quite the group in his corner cheering him on and in turn he continues to encourage the other athletes who are also his friends. As much as his life revolves around competitive sports, he also works two jobs (ESR and Target), goes to the gym daily, and takes part in additional outdoor activities, like the Northland 300 and the 2015 Polar Plunge!
Steven All Set For The Polar Plunge!
The Northland 300 is a 3-day, charitable snowmobile ride, made up of volunteer participants who raise funds to support the Special Olympics of Minnesota. In 2009, Steven was the first Special Olympic athlete to join the Northland 300 snowmobile trip. He describes the event, “It’s a guys trip. We stay in a lodge and on our free day we drive around Ely”. Although he proclaims this as his guy trip, his mother Patsy Eull volunteers for the Northland 300 as a care van aid. The trip begins in Two Harbors traveling North 150 miles for an overnight stay in Ely. After a day of fun they continue their journey back to Two Harbors, making an overall 300 mile trip. He looks forward to the adventure with his coach and dear friend Jason Reinsch every year. The ride has raised over $4 million dollars and 100% of the funds from the Northland 300 is given to support Special Olympics of Minnesota.
It doesn’t take long to realize that Steven’s life has been a series of adventures that have made him a man who is rich in relationships, a champion in physical endurance, successful in facing his fears, and willing to take risks. He lives a very special life that brings happiness to those who are blessed to be in his company.
Snowmobilers raise funds and hopes along the trail
Article published in Access Press (March 10, 2014)
Northland 300 Participant Mike Townsend, Northern Cruisers Car Club Donate
Article published in the Grand Rapids Herald Review (January 27, 2014)
Northland 300, Quarter Century of Snowmobiling Inspires New Flame
Article published on MN United Snowmobilers Assocation website at www.mnsnowmobiler.org
(January 22, 2014)
Northland 300, Ready! Sled! GO!
Article published in the Lake County News Chronicle (January 17, 2014)
Remembering Billy Meister, Northland 300 Snowmobiler and Friend
By Kathy Karkula (March 2013)
THE NORTHLAND REMEMBERS BILLY MEISTER
I can remember Pooker asking what age his son had to be to come on the Northland 300. At 21, he magically appeared on the ride and there could be no one more proud than Pooker and me.
2013 marked the 2nd Northland 300 that Billy Meister participated and this time, the Baker's Dozen was his goal. By the Awards Ceremony announcements, Billy achieved his goal. He came in 3rd place raising a total of $4,575 for the athletes of Special Olympics Minnesota. Billy understood what the Northland 300 was all about. It was about safe and responsible snowmobiling and it was about fundraising for Special Olympics. He accomplished it all and he did it well.
Then on February 16, 2013, a fatal snowmobiling accident took place and we lost one of our fellow Northland 300 snowmobilers. It is hard to write this when we can all remember Billy getting the "high fives" from all those on the Baker's Dozen as his name was read. We will never know what actually took place that Saturday but we do know that we will miss 22 year old Billy Meister.
Everything was beautiful in sending Billy Meister to Heaven and to keep his memory alive. From the Northland 300's view, he will be commemorated with a new torch with his name engraved. Thanks to Janel Vorel and her Birthday Fundraiser at Meister's Bar and Grill on March 22. This new torch will help carry on the memory as we use it at our Opening Ceremonies. The torch bearing athlete will be accompanied by Pooker Meister to dedicate this loving memory.
Billy was registered for the 2014 Northland 300 and we will be paying respects to his memory on the 2014 ride also.
Archived News & Highlights
- 25 Years of Hitting the Trails with Care (March 2013)
- It's snow fun for the 25th Northland 300 ride (March 10, 2013)
- Remembering Kevin DeVaan, Northland 300 Snowmobiler & Friend (February 2013)
- Northland 300 participants gathered at the Grand Ely Lodge (February 2, 2013)
- Opening Ceremony for the Northland 300 (February 2, 2013)
- Community Service, Northland 300 - 2013 Ride for Special Olympics (February 1, 2013)
- Snowmobilers Riding 300 Miles for Special Olympics (January 24, 2013)
- Northland 300 Ely Opening Ceremony Set for Friday (January 19, 2013)
- Northland 300 hits the trails (January 3, 2013)
- How to live, how to love (December 27, 2012)
- Northland 300 marks 25 years on North Shore's snowy trails (December 10, 2012)
- Northland 300, January 23-27, Based In Two Harbors (December 2012)
- 25 Years of Turning Silver Into Gold (September 2012)
- Northland 300 Celebrates 25 Years Riding for Special Olympics (September 2012)
- 25 Years of Abilities on the Trails Helping Disabilities in Lives (September 2012)
- Northland 300 Snowmobilers Raise $182,000 Plus for Special Olympics (March 2012)
- Northland 300 Snowmobilers Raise $182,000 Plus for Special Olympics (February 2012)
- Northland 300 Kicking Off Despite Lack of Snow (January 30, 2012)
- Riders Get Ready for Northland 300 (January 26, 2012)
- Northland 300 Ride Comes to Tower (January 14, 2012)
- North Shore State Trail Renamed After Snowmobile Fanatic (October 13, 2011)
- Charity Navigator Awards Special Olympics Four Stars (October 11, 2011)
- C.J. Ramstad Trail Dedicated (October 5, 2011)
- Northland 300 Event (August 11, 2011)
- Hookers Fishing Tournament (Hosted by Fisherman's Wharf) (August 10, 2011)
- Hookers Fishing Tournament (Hosted by Fisherman's Wharf) (July 27, 2011)
- Hookers Fishing Tournament (Hosted by Fisherman's Wharf) (July 27, 2011)
- Hookers Fishing Tournament (Hosted by Fisherman's Wharf) (July 21, 2011)
- Hookers Fishing Tournament (Hosted by Fisherman's Wharf) (July 19, 2011)
- Dan Young, Northland 300 Participant and Legal Counsel (July 3, 2011)
- Dan Young, Northland 300 Participant and Legal Counsel (April 13, 2011)
- David VanWie, Former Northland 300 Participant (March 9, 2011)
- Pinstripes Bocce on Ice Tournament (February 11, 2011)
- Pinstripes puts bocce on ice for charity (February 10, 2011)
- Northland 300 Benefiting Special Olympics Minnesota Kicks Off (January 27, 2011)
- Snowmobilers Ready to Ride for Great Cause (January 21, 2011)
- Meister and Co. ready to ride for Special Olympics (January 21, 2011)
- Public invited to opening ceremony for Northland 300 (January 15, 2011)
- Riders coming Jan. 27 (January 14, 2011)
- Snow, Snow, Snow... Northland 300 Snowmobilers Ready to Ride for a Great Cause! (January 13, 2011)
- See the snowmobile ralliers (January 12, 2011)
- Northland 300 benefit returns (January 15, 2010)
- Northland 300 to again include Ely on snowmobile trek (January 9, 2010)
- Special Olympics athlete continues the legend... Northland 300 22nd ride (January 8, 2010)
- U of M Women's Soccer Team Showcases Special Olympics Athletes (October 4, 2009)
- 2010 Northland 300 - The Time is Now! (September 2009)
- Marc Williams, Northland 300 Participant, Farmington Grand Marshall (June 26, 2009)
- Marc Williams, Northland 300 Participant, Farmington Grand Marshall (June 25, 2009)
- Skied for Speed (March 2, 2009)
- Special ride for special reasons (February 7, 2009)
- Northland 300 stops in Ely, makes history (February 7, 2009)
- Olympian makes historic ride (February 4, 2009)
- The Northland 300 (January 24, 2009)
- Follow the journey--Northland 300 underway (January 23, 2009)
- Northland 300 around the corner (January 9, 2009)
- Special olympian first to make 300-mile snowmobile ride (Janaury 7, 2009)
- Northland 300 About to Set History (December 2008)
- Northland 300 about to Embark in Making History (November 17, 2008)
- Northland 300 about to embark in setting history Coach and Special Olympics athlete to team up for January event - Two Harbors to Ely and back (November 8, 2008)
- Janel Vorel receives Wells Fargo Volunteer Service Award (October 29, 2008)
- Marc Williams receives FAA Civil Servant Award (February 20, 2008)
- Good Deeds (February 20, 2008)
- Northland 300 celebrates 20 years (February 16, 2008)
- FAAer Earns His Title as a Truly Special Olympian (January 10, 2008)
- Money Man (January 10, 2008)
- Reaching out for Special Olympics Minnesota (2006)